Learning Comes Alive and Becomes Relevant
- Work on a project over an extended period
- Solve a ‘real-world’ problem or answer a complex question or challenge.
- Creating a public product or presentation for a real audience.
- Develop deep content knowledge as well as critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, and communication skills.
"Projects" vs Project-based Learning
Short, intellectually light independent work required after the teacher covers the content of a unit, e.g., “Build a volcano and make it erupt.”
The Project IS the unit.
- Start with: Challenging problem or question
- Then: Engage a coach
- Design and plan/Student Voice and Choice
- Align to standards
- Research/Manage activities
- Scaffold student learning/Reflection
- Access student learning/Critique and Revise
- Finally: A published product or presentation